Remote X problem (Linux to SCO Unix)

Quoting Vince McHugh <vince_mchugh at yahoo.com>:
> > Thomas Charron <tcharron at ductape.net>
> >   I think I'm a little confused.  'Run its app'?
> > What is the app?
> at this point I would like to get any app (xterm or
> xclock) to run, but ultimately there is apparently a
> script that launches and open several apps (xterm,
> xclock and a proprietary dispatch application). This
> happens when we use either the windows/exceed or the X
> terminals that come with the system.

  Alrighty then.  It's one of two things then.  Either the XDM login is
handling autolanching of apps, or Exceeed is setup to automatically log them
in, and start up the remote applications.  Either is valid.  If within Exceed,
you are recieving an XDM login like window (What many consider a 'Unix X
Windows Login' dialog), then chances are, their startup scripts are doing the
job for you..

> I currently get an error: can't open display when I
> try xterm & or xclock &

  Almost sounds like your display on ther Linux box is, as most of the time it
is, running on screen '0', not one.  As a test, telnet in, and export
DISPLAY=machine:0 instead of :1.  I'm not sure, but I SEEM to remember Exceed
using :1..

> >   Chances are, more then likely, that Exceed is
> > setup to remote into the SCO
> > box, either via telnet, or ssh, and 'run some stuff'
> > that causes an xdm login
> > window to appear.
> Just to clarify is the xdm login window the standard
> SCO GUI login??? Because that IS what I am trying to
> do.

  I'm unsure, but it's considered the standard 'X' login screen.  There are
many varieties of daemons that implement XDM, such as KDM(?) and gdm (Gnome
version of xdm).

  Try this.  Launch X from a command line using:

/usr/location/of/X -query scomachinename.  If fonts look funny, or you think it
may be using funny fonts, you *may* have to add: tcp/sco.box:7200 in the
XFree86config file, under where the fonts are configured.  If this doesnt work,
try /usr/location/of/X -query scomachinename -ac instead.  If it's a security
issue, -ac says that anything can connect, essentially turning off access
control to the server.  (I recall tossing up funny messages to coworkers who
didnt know a thing about X becouse X was started up this way on some boxes we
had, so you MAY want to consider securing things a bit more, but up to you..)

Take a gander at this page:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/XDM-
Xterm.html

  The parts we are talking about here are dealing with an 'X' server, along
with XDM running on what they call in that doc an 'Application Server'.
Technically, you could really be running on cheap intel boxes that boot off of
a floppy if you really wanted to in this case, becouse the apps run on the
server itself, and technically, the only thing running locally is X.  This is
basically what 'X Terminals' really are, smart displays running X..

  Feel free to ask for help if you need to.  This type of environment makes
things VERY nice, as if you do things such as setting up XDM broadcast, you can
simply plugin in and have it work.  In this environment, X would start up and
literally send out a XDM broadcast request, which the server would answer.  No
configuration needed, and peoples PC's dont need to be configured for their
desks.  This makes creating new terminals VERY easy, and simplifies SO many
things..  But perhaps we're making it a tad to complex then you need cause we
are familiar with this environment..  8-P

---
Thomas Charron
<< Is beadarrach an ni an onair >>