Wireless router question.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Chuck Young wrote:

> I have had problems with my Linksys requiring a re-flash twice, this problem
> I never had with the netgear, which also has a nice serial console port.  I
> have dealt with both as far as tech support goes as well and found Netgear
> more knowlegable and more willing to give an RMA.  YMMV.
>
> If I was buying again, I would go with the netgear.  My $.02

Two points, both repeats.

1) I was at a presentation by Netgear a few months ago, and they listed
several advantages of their units over the Linksys ones.  From memory,
they were:
- Metal case with two fans vs plastic case with no fan (this might
have been a larger unit)
- Software from SonicWall is more robust, firewalling more flexible
- There have been versions of the Linksis ROM where the admin pages would
only work with Internet Explorer
- Serial console port

2) I advocate getting a separate WAP so it can be physically powered off
when not in use for the ultimate in security, and so it can be more
optimally located if reception is a problem.

Grain of salt not included.
DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most
DKK D  experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in;
DK KD  we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
DDDD                                          -Nathaniel Borenstein