Wireless PCMCIA cards

Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> writes:

> Note the newest 802.1* security hole.  Apparently a bad guy can send
> some sort of hangup message that will cause your card to think it has
> lost its connection, but the access point doesn't notice and the bad
> guy can take over your connection.  Apparently it is a bit more
> trivial to do if one is not using WEP, but not impossible in either
> case.

If one is using ssh over the link (protocol 2), then presumably the
ssh session would notice (and terminate) even if the access point didn't.
So the bad guy can pull a DoS on you, but unless there's a vulnerability
in ssh2 that I'm unaware of, the ssh sessions should still be safe.

Ssh1, of course, is known to be trivially easy to exploit, and thus
is really no better than ROT13 at this point.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9