alternative if no persistant host name?

hello,
    i know there has been discussion about ATTBI and
the service we will get if we have servers running
(i.e. web servers, etc), does anyone know what are the
alternatives?

will we be able to get a persistant host name
(i.e. linuxluva.attbi.com)? does this mean a static
ip?   how much will it cost?
what services will we get if we get the static ip
address?

what service will we get if we can't run a server?
what is the inexpensive alternative?

thanx  Niece