alternative if no persistant host name?

hi Niece,
I've been told many times that AT&T will not continue with the host names, such as
linuxluva.attbi.com. However, gaf.ne.mediaone.net (and gaf.ne.client2.attbi.com) is still be ing
name served (with the incorrect ip address). They are currently serving the MAC based host
names.

I suspect that they will not provide static IP addresses for residential service.

One of the key issues for me is the port numbers.

I suspect that they will eventually offier the tiered services that they have mentioned in the past:
1. Low bandwidth, low cost.
2. Residential standard (what we now have).
3. SOHO - Residential plus some features, such as DNS service for host names and static ip.
4. Business - higher bandwidths.

One reason for not having static ip addresses is as their subscriber base changes, they can more
easily split segments and renumber. It is much simpler for routers to handle a range of addresses.