ATF Takes Responsibility for Federal Software

Certainly, federal and state law enforcement agencies would like to have
control. At one point they tried to make the ISPs responsible for content,
such as child porn.
There will always be a conflict between privacy, first amendment rights,
the need for legislators to justify their own existence, and law enforcers
to find easy ways to enforce what they perceive is the law. (And of course
the religious morality people).