HELP: Problems mounting Windows disk under Linux (TIVO)

Help...  I'm upgrading my Tivo (Linux) by adding a second IDE hard drive
but I have to make a backup of my drive first.  Here's my problem:  I
have a new 40GB IDE disk set initially as a "master".  Using a Win98
startup floppy, I ran "fdisk" and created a single primary partition.  I
then formatted the C: drive using "format".  I switched the jumper on
the new drive to "slave", and added my original Tivo drive as "master"
and rebooted using a special Linux boot floppy (TivoMad in case you're
interested.)  Here I have to mount the slave drive so I can backup the
original drive as a "file" on the new ide disk.  When I type:  "mount
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/dos", it gives me a "FAT bread" error.  What do I need to
do to get this to work?  BTW -- I want to be able to use the ide disk in
my Windows box after doing this backup so I can't use ext2.

Thanks,
Robert

Tivo Upgrade:
http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/