Watchdog daemon monitoring script

Could write this myself but I'd like to see what open source scripts are
out there first.  I need a watchdog script that monitors one or more
daemon processes and restarts them if they don't respond.  I think just
opening and then closing a connection to each daemon port would be
suffice.  First, is there anything that in any of the distributions that
does this?  If not, is there some open source script to do this?

Thanks,
Robert