memory usage

Just adding a bit to what David said.
Unix systems buffer all I/O. The buffers are allocated by the kernel for
all system-wide I/O. So, when you write a file (to just about any device),
you are writing to a buffer. Note that these kernel buffers have nothing to
do with the C language stdio package. These buffers are used by device
drivers. The Unix sync(8) command will cause all buffers to be flushed.
Normally there is a daemon (bdflush or update) that will sync the disks
periodically. Essentially, the buffering and caching by the kernel is one
of the things that makes Unix (and Linux) systems faster than Windows
systems.