WARNING! OpenOffice

I downloaded OpenOffice 1.0 and installed it on a Win98 workstation to
try it out. BIG MISTAKE!!!

That particular unit had MS Office 2000 already installed and a number
of Excel and Word documents stashed in various folders on the machine.
Seems that OO1 is EXTREMELY promiscuous and altered all these files to
open up under it and not MS Office. Now I have to go back and alter the
default application for each of these.

I have not yet tried this in Linux, or with any other office packages
such as my WordPerfect OS which is on both my NT and Linux workstations.
However, I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem. I suspect
that this was an error in my installation, so IF you choose to install
OO1, be sure to think carefully about any global options you allow the
program to pursue!!!

Also-- OO1 is unable to use many of the XL capabilities that I love to
use, such as worksheet linking. I did not try to create any new
worksheets doing this in OO1, but since I have so many different files
already created in various versions of XL and Word, I am loathe to use
OO1 as a default application.