WARNING! OpenOffice

Yes, that should work (hopefully), and I did try it, but we had transferred the
old 3G harddrive that was on its last legs to the new 20G, and not everything
that was on the old drive made it, including, it seems, the Microsoft Office
install/repair drivers (*.msi files). This unit is one of those "no OS CD"
OEM-filled specials, so I have to wait until Dell opens on Monday to see if I
can get a repair CD.

Meanwhile, I can only run my files if I first open Word or Excel and then open
the files from inside the application. Something of a pain, but doable until a
better fix comes along. Of course, this wouldn't even have been an issue if the
formatters had worked better and the opened files in OO1 been more functional!

Hate to admit it, but I still much prefer Excel to any other spreadsheet I've
used, and Word is in a dead heat with Word Perfect for the best Word processor.
Wish it weren't true. But OO may still be a good option for Linux, and just what
is needed to put it on the desktops.