broadband recommendations, Arlington

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, srl wrote:

> My family recently bought a house in Arlington Heights. We've been
> Mediaone customers for 3-4 years in Watertown but have noticed a
> great degradation in quality of service since ATT acquired them.
> We're debating whether to continue with ATT cablemodem service in
> Arlington or to get DSL.
>
> Thoughts? Anyone have suggestions on DSL providers? I'm looking for
> a> uptime b> clueful customer support c> friendliness to running
> small services from my machine d> fair pricing. I hear good things
> about Speakeasy, but I've also heard that they've gotten worse as
> they get larger.  I'd also like to get some idea of how long I can
> expect to wait on a DSL or cable install.

Absolutely extatic about SpeakEasy.  They are the best.  Not the cheapest,
but very knowledgeable and reliable.

My install took a very long time, but that was verizon's fault (surprise),
not Speakeasy.  Two static IP's and non-shared bandwidth can't be beat.

I had MediaOne -> RoadRunner -> ATT, and I had lots of outages, and I
actually talked to a tech support person who did not know what a domain
name server was.  They felt no shame about my downtime, and couldn't offer
any solutions.  It's only a matter of time before they eliminate all
server ports.

The funny thing is even though my bandwidth is 1/3 - 1/2 of what I had on
my cablemodem, my internet usage is actually MUCH faster, because the name
servers are lightning fast, where AT&T's ran like molasses.  I'm also
fewer hops to the big fat backbone pipes.  And I don't live in fear of yet
another policy change making my setup illegal.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D
DK KD  Pretense and adversity are inversely proportional;
DDDD   Adversity reveals the true nature of all things.