crontab vs. links in /etc/cron.hourly (etc.)

I held back the script because I don't like to impose my scripts on people, and I had a pretty good hunch it was "something" to do with environment outside the script. But it looks like more information is needed so..

Basically script does a CVS checkout, tars it up and moves it to a normal user's http: directory.

1) By "working OK when run manually, I mean I get a tarball the right size - 5MB - and which tar can read back in. In other words, I run the script from a bash shell.
2) When it runs via a symlink in /etc/cron (I just ln -s the script to a point inside /etc/cron.hourly/), the script runs... I get an output file. But the "tarball" isn't a valid tar, and is 10k. I looked inside the file and it's just binary junk.
3) When we scheduled the script via a crontab entry, it runs OK (as in #1 exactly). I could accept that I "should" always use crontab and not link the cron dirs. BUT not knowing WHY the script flubbed up is like an itch you can't scratch. I guess it comes with working in SQA for 10 years. ;-)

And yeah, I know I didn't need to do this as root. Bad habit. It's a routinely dd-imaged box on a private LAN, so I'll just use root if I can.

Thanks,

-Scott

#!/bin/sh

# Abstract: An hourly cronjob to package the stest portion of CVS.
#   Currently I am running this on "tower15" so the stest
#   "install script" will have somewhere to fetch stest.tar from.
#