broadband recommendations, Arlington

Thank you for the very clear explanation. I've never had it explained to me
before. :-)

So basically all the folks on the DSLAM I connect to share the same router
port, and thus compete with each other for the bandwidth for that port. I'm
still aggregated w/ other users, just one step further up the network. So
as long as the router is fast enough to handle the traffic, and has
sufficient upstream bandwidth (never been a problem w/ SE) there should be
no problems w/ a bridged connection, correct?

Drew

At 11:34 AM 6/5/02 -0400, Bill Horne wrote:

>A bridged connection means that (like cable) you share the available
>bandwidth with other customers. Although *DSL gives you a dedicated line
>to the local central office, you're line is bridged with others once it's
>there. Whether that's "bad" or not
>depends on the throughput available to you, which depends on the mix of
>bandwidth and demand in/out of that particular CO.
>
>A routed connection gives you the advantage of your own router port, and
>thus the benefit of not competing with other users for the bandwidth
>available on the port(s) that connect to the bridge(s) in a particular
>location. Although you'll still share the
>"backbone" bandwidth, you'll be less sensitive to time of day congestion.

Drew Taylor                  |  Freelance web development using
http://www.drewtaylor.com/   |  perl/mod_perl/MySQL/postgresql/DBI
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com   |  Email jobs at drewtaylor.com
Speakeasy.net: A DSL provider with a clue. Sign up today.
http://www.speakeasy.net/refer/29655