3c90x driver problems and module-info file

I have an Intel system with two built-in Ethernet ports (eepro100).  I
also have a 3COM 3c90x card in the same system.  I am using the 3COM
(3c90x) and one of the built-in ports.  However, the 3COM port doesn't
always come up after booting.  It comes up sometimes.  I've run "depmod
-a" but that didn't seem to change anything. I only have aliases for the
two ports I'm using.  Do I need to add another alias in modules.conf?
 It's rather frustrating to have to reboot several times just to get it
working.  It seems like a driver load order problem to me but I'm not
sure what I should do.  What can I do to diagnose this?

ALSO, does anyone know what the /boot/module-info file does?  It came
with RedHat 7.x but I don't think it's part of the kernel distribution.
 I'm wondering if it's related to my problem or not and just plain
curious as to what it is used for.

Thanks,
Robert