From: Keller, Tim [mailto:Tim.Keller at stratus.com]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 11:59 AM
To: 'Chuck Young'
Cc: discuss at blu.org
Subject: RE: M$ && Sending files back? [was: SOT: w2k alters mbr]

Chuck,

I'm not sure about John's statement, but I do know that the EULA that you
sign when you download Microsoft Media Player has the following paragraph in
it:

*	Digital Rights Management (Security).  You agree that in order to
protect the integrity of content and software protected by digital rights
management ("Secure Content"), Microsoft may provide security related
updates to the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your
computer.  These security related updates may disable your ability to copy
and/or play Secure Content and use other software on your computer.  If we
provide such a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post
notices on a web site explaining the update.

After reading this Gem of legalese, I take it to mean that microsoft can at
its own discretion decide what you can or can not run on your machine.  If
it feels that "Tim's magical music ripper" is being used to rip cd's into a
format that lacks some form of Digital Rights Management built into it, they
could send down an update that would inhibit it from running.

Thanks,
Tim.