M$ && Sending files back? [was: SOT: w2k alters mbr]

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, John Abreau wrote:

> David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:
>
> > I solved that problem by blocking all M$FT IP addresses I can find (except
> > hotmail) from a section in my firewall script that I can turn on and off.
>
> I took the opposite approach. I added zones for microsoft.com (and
> doubleclick.net, and a few others) to my home DNS and set them to all
> point at 127.0.0.1.

That's the right way to handle outbound to microsoft.  Unfortunately, all
attemtps I have made to set up DNS on my server at home have ended in
cusses, pain, frustration, and ice cream.  Even just the cacheing only
nameserver.  Even from RPM.  Then again, that was with MediaOne, not
Speakeasy DSL.

I'm going to the KGP show to get the parts for my new Windows box this
weekend, and I'll probably be building my new linux server from my
existing Windows box in about two weeks.  Maybe I'll try again.

As a side note, a coworker of mine is millimeters away from convincing me
to use the just-today-released FreeBSD 4.6 instead of Red Hat Linux 7.3.
That would be new ground for me, but it's supposed to be more stable and
more secure, and have a much better TCP/IP code base.  I'll probably
install it on some other box to play with for a while then decide.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "God grant me a good sword and no use for it."
DK KD
DDDD                                               - Polish Proverb