strange gethostsbyname error...

the gethostbyname call starts to fail about a 1/2 hour after the server
software is taken down for the night.  I got the client to agree to let me
test with it for the day so we're running one right now with h_errno being
printed out via hstrerror but it's going to be about 20 minutes until it
starts to fail.

Now could this have anything to do with the TCP socket being open on one
system and closed on the other?  Or when the socket times out?  I'm asking
because currently there is still a socket connection on the Linux box from
when the server code was up and running on the AS/400.

When it looses the connection to the server it runs this procedure every two
or three seconds:
{
gethostbyname

socket(AF_INET...)
setsocketopt(...SO_SNDBUF...)
setsocketopt(...SO_RCVBUF...)

connect
setsocketopt(...SO_REUSEADDR...)
setsocketopt(...SO_KEEPALIVE...)

send handshake message
}
but as I said, after about a 1/2 hour gethostbyname starts to fail.