discussing flavors of POSIX [was M$ && Sending files back?]

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> David Kramer wrote:
> >I would be very interested in such a discussion, but I'm not very up on
> >the differences, since I was just told what I thought the differences were
> >are no longer true.
> >
> >And you can not only watch, but learn!  That's what I plan to do.
> >Discussions like KDE vs Gnome are highly subjective.  But I'm sure we will
> >come up with several objective difference between *NIX and *BSD; some will
> >matter to me and some will not, but when we're done I will be able to make
> >a more informed opinion.
>
> Would that be comparing Linux and UNIX with BSD?  Given the frequency
> of comments over the years about how "Linux isn't UNIX because it
> shares no code with UNIX, but BSD does" that should make for an
> interesting discussion.  Seriously, though, a discussion of the
> strength/weaknesses of various freely available POSIX-like systems would
> be a good thing...

I find the history and politics of each *NIX interesting (expecially the
meetings we've had on that topic), but I'm much more interested in "what
of the differences will have an affect on me?".  At least right now.  Even
high performance isn't that much of an issue, as the new server is going
to be an Athlon 650 with 128MB RAM.  Stabaility and standardization matter
more to me (ah.. but what standard, you ask...)
<The Clash>
	We have so many flags;
	I guess that's why you act like we don't have any.
</The Clash>

Since my server is also a learning tool for skills I would like use at
work or elsewhere, it behooves me to use the most popular tool that will
suit my needs.  That gives Red Hat Linux a certain bump up on my list, but
if some other distro of *NUX or *BSD has some advantages that mean
something to me, then I'll go with it.  But I'm not gonna switch because
"Red Hat sold out to Da Man!" or something like that.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "It goes without saying that you should never have more
DK KD  children than you have car windows."
DDDD                                                            Erma Bombeck