Linux standards

I think compiling stuff is good fun and a good way to learn about what
you are installing, but I would hardly recommend this for a production
environment....

Imagine having to roll out something on 100 machines.... you going to
make it on each one??  not only will that be a big PITA, it will screw
you when your system needs to be rebuilt quickly....especially when most
admins only back up user data...

In my experience, best practice is to keep an archive somewhere will all
of your common packages... precompiled and ready to rpm -i or whatever
your tool of choice may be.