Linux vs FreeBSD, and other *NIXes

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, James Hunter Heinlen wrote:

> > I saw something I missed earlier - its in this thread somewhere....  It
> > says that Linux has very little official oversight - although I have never
> > contributed code to the kernel I have heard that is not the case.  I have
> > heard the maintainer will readily not accept code that isn't up to par.
> > Did I miss something somewhere?
>
> Perhaps.  Perhaps it is a matter of perspective.  By 'Official
> Oversight', I assumed the author meant oversight by someone in
> authority outside of the coding group, such as a non-technical
> manager/boss, or some standards setting agency.  Perhaps it was
> something particular to that environment, but when I was a technical
> consultant in DuPont, official oversight meant outside influence, that
> we would be judged by someone who was not one of us.  Since I was in
> the Division of Commercial Explosives, this meant that the ATF, DoT,
> DoE, DoI BoM, OSHA, MSHA, and on rare occasion, the DoD held that
> role.

It was I, BLU's official instigator and starter of flame wars, that said
it.  It's my understanding that, while people from all over
contribute to the source code of FreeBSD, there is a relatively small
group that writes most of it, and they go over what others submit much
more closely.

Linux has some people, like Alan Cox, that fit this function, but there
seem to be lots and lots of "keepers of the code", each managing their own
part.  You occasionally hear of one codemaster disappering from the face
of the planet or becomming unreachable or unresponsive.  In fact, there
was a thread on the Red Hat mailing list last week.

Again, I don't know these things to be fact.  I guess I should join a
FreeBSD mailing list.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Isn't the universe an amazing place?
DK KD  I wouldn't live anywhere else.
DDDD                                                                   J'Kar