Rumors of MS involvement in Apache advisory

Thanks for the research, Jim.

The debate rages on about full disclosure of vulnerabilities and whether the
discoverer should/should not notify the development team first and then
make/not make a public announcement, letting the world know that they found
it first due to their superior mental powers or strong market position or
both.  It is also an interesting point about publishing for blatant
recognition, especially when it is unwarranted.  I suppose our market
culture pushes some to publish trivial information to better market their
organization, but if money was not behind it, I think pride would be.

Personally, I am in favor of polite full disclosure where a self-realized
white or gray hat does not need to prove something to the world, but
realizes they have found something that could harm a lot of end users and
takes the steps needed to help those people who are *using* the tool.  To me
this would mean letting the developers know first and then telling the user
community immediately afterwards, as you never really know if they you are
the only one who knows about a new vulnerability at a given point in time,
and some developers simply will not fix software unless poop is publicly
smeared on them.  Perhaps this way everyone is treated equally (more or
less).

The main take aways for me on this issue was the speed at which the apache
development team (like many open source projects) made a working patch
available; was that one day? I do not think the proprietary folks can ever
match this.  A second issue is how great technology still does not guarantee
accuracy (or relevancy sometimes) in the information it rapidly
disseminates; it's still a bunch of guys - they just move faster.

Chuck Young
Security Consulting
Genuity E-Services