Possible attack; opinions wanted

Thanks to everyone for their help. Some answers to your questions:

---- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Meyers" <nmeyers at javalinux.net>
To: "Bill Horne" <bill at horne.net>
Cc: <discuss at blu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: Possible attack; opinions wanted

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:41:43AM -0400, Bill Horne wrote:
> > Thanks for reading this. I'm trying to figure if my server is being
attacked, or just probed: please take a look at the httpd error log segment
located at http://billhorne.homelinux.org/hacklog.html.

> And the difference between attacking and probing is - what? - whether
> you're being personally targeted? FWIW, I'd call it an attack - by a
> Windows IIS virus looking to propagate itself.

I'm probably using the wrong terms: I consider an "attack" to be an entry
attempt specifically targeted at my machine by a human. Everything else is a
probe.

Does anyone have the virus alert page handy? It's tried a variety of errors,
which is why I thought it an attack.

 ----