Possible attack; opinions wanted

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 01:08:56PM -0400, Warren E. Agin wrote:

>   "The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's
>   absolutely not. It's the stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever
>   heard."
>
>   -BILL GATES

>> My father used to run a software company and had the same attitude
>> toward bugs. He noted that while each version would fix the bugs
>> found in the last version, it invariably introduced new ones. So,
>> relying on versioning to eliminate bugs was somewhat pointless.

Sure.  So what are we to make of Microsoft's new "Security Initiative"?
Bugs cause security problems.  And why is each new version of MS product
touted as being more stable than the last one, when such considerations
are the "stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever heard"?  Are
stability and security something that MS takes seriously, or not?  Their
own statements contradict themselves.

Whatever the case, no one will ever convince me that Microsoft puts
consumer interests ahead of their bottom line.

"The ever-growing size of software applications is what makes Moore's Law
possible: If we hadn't brought your computer to its knees, why would
you go out and buy a new one?"

-NATHAN MYHRVOLD

Trustworthy computing, my ass.

--