H1Bs (was Re: Overqualified?!?!)

Regarding H1B workers, johnmalloy at attbi.com wrote:
> 1.) They got their college education for free from their
> Government.
>
> 2.) Our Gov't has consistently been cutting back on
> education, which a very bad trend.
>
> 3.)  Perhaps you should get replaced by a few of "your
> guys" (after you have trained them) and be out of work
> for over  a year and lose all your benefits nad
> insurance?

H1B computer programmers may be paid less than their citizen
counterparts, but surely they earn enough to be liable for income taxes.
    And *everyone* earning a salary legally in this country contributes
to Social Security; as the proportion of citizens in retirement goes up,
foreign workers' contribution to Social Security will look more and more
desirable.  And if their employers can make more profit from the H1Bs
than from citizens, that extra profit can translate into extra tax
revenues.  And if they buy consumer goods in a US state that has a sales
tax ... you get the idea.

IMHO, the solution is simple: invite as many H1B workers (in computer
programming and other fields) as the market will bear, and use the extra
tax revenue for government programs that benefit citizens.

And don't get me started on farm subsidies and textile protectionism....

--sethg the flaming liberal