Possible attack; opinions wanted

Drew,
You are absolutely correct, but the exercise is called pissing into the
wind.
Years ago at Raytheon Data Systems, my manager convinced training to
contract with Control Data to teach a course in Program Project Management.
All the software management people took the course, myself included. All of
us not only took the course, but believed in it. But, when it came down to
implementation, it did not work.
I've done a large amount of contracting at Digital/Compaq and HP. Most of
the software management people buy into the planning. But when it comes
down to implementing, the schedules tend to get compressed. Both small and
large companies get cought up in delivery dates. In a complex project
(software or hardware) there tend to be delays. We try to plan delays into
the projects, but we also need to consider deliveries.

However, there were several projects (mostly Digital) that were delivered
on schedule. I worked on the Alpha Assembler for Windows NT. The existing
assembler was encumbered. The plan was for 3 people (plus one part time
tech writer) to complete the project in 3 months- Design, Code, Unit Test,
and Test. The functional spec was the existing assembler manual. A short
way through the project one of the guys had to drop out of the project, and
I was asked to take over. It was interesting that one of the guys (the guy
who dropped out) worked in another facility. The original project leader
wrote the internal design. Our goal was to deliver the assembler for
inclusion on the Windows NT SDK, which we did on schedule.

Another project (not at Digital) was a project to deliver an encryption key
management system for a network of about 3000 notes with an external
encryption box. Spec'd at 3 months with 4 people on the Unix side and 3 on
the encryption box side.
1. The functional spec, written by my manager was worth less than used
toilet paper.
2. They had not even decided what flavor of Unix they were going to use at
the start of the project.
3. Out of the 4 Unix engineers hired, only one was an experience C
progammer. A second had some better design experience, but was a bit weak.
A third was a smart guy who was very weak in C, but who knew assembler, and
could come up to speed. The 4th could not code, period.
First, the manager sold the project as a 3 month project when he knew damn
well it was a 6+. He also turned down some very competent programmers. One
friend of mine was turned down because he lacked Unix Workstation
experience.
Initially, my office was a small closet which I shared with an obese
hardware tech who could barely fit in the office. He spent most of his time
in the lab. There was no way this project was going to be successful.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director