Overqualified?!?!

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> This is a very microeconomic viewpoint.  Keeping them might be good
> for you, but you have to look at the larger picture.  With the influx
> of foriegn technical labor, many Americans are out of work.  I don't

Well, here is where I have to question your premise.  I used H1B workers
because the dotcom gold rush made it impossible for me to fill the jobs I
had.  The dotcom boom didn't crash because of H1B's.  So I'm not sure I
agree with you that lots of the Americans out of work right now are in
that position because of the H1B's.

Also, no one has answered what I am supposed to do with my guys.  Does
anybody expect me to let them go and replace them wth American workers?
Or are we just saying that any new H1B work should be abolished?

> Of course, no one in America ever wants to look at the big picture...

The problem I have with the big picture argument is that you either argue
from personal experience, opinion, or statistics.  Most people who quote
the big picture are really offering their opinion without the statistics
to back it up (and, moreso, even when they do have statistics, the
counterpart also has statistics to refute them...).  So nobody ever wins.
I go with what I know -- my personal experience.  To that extent, I agree
that if I had jobs to offer right now, I would offer them to American
workers.  But that is not the situation I am in.

Duane

 > > - -- > Derek
Martin