PC Manufacturers in Linux

Earlier today, Slashdot reported a list of 100 laptop manufacturers (http://mobilix.org/laptop_manufacturer.html) running on linux. This also talk about the "Microsoft Tax" and as mentioned on other well know sites like http://www.linux-laptop.net/ and http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

This things were mentioned before the presentation, I also have one doubt when they were reffering to "gentle Linux" or were they talking about the popular Gentoo Linux. Wich was mentioned that is just an image file and then you need to dl all the components from the net.

I am ready to test gentoo in my laptop and I will like to know as much before I make that step.

Sincerely,
    Alexandro Colorado