Overqualified?!?!

OK, now my two cents (I may have to borrow it, though ;-):

   I have paid taxes in this country for over 20 years, and have contributed
to, and even campaigned for my elected representatives (who are now probably
owned by the likes of Enron, AOL, and others), BUT I don't disagree with
H1Bs working here. I do disagree with *new* H1Bs being issued in this
economy, however I well understand that replacing a person in the middle of
a project is often much more costly than just the hiring process.
    In regards to the economic sense behind H1Bs, I suspect that most
Software Engineers would chose a lower salary over the option of working at
McDonalds (myself included), so I think that this isn't a valid argument
either. If someone is willing to hire me at a lower salary, I will happily
and productively work there until economic conditions improve, and then
either renegotiate or leave. I am an adept programmer and have references to
prove it, so that's not an issue either.
   In regards to Unions, I have mixed feelings. I haven't heard anyone speak
of unionization in quite some time, as the supply-demand ratio really only
recently fell off. Unions are really a mechanism to protect employed workers
and are very good at it, but when it comes to creating jobs, they don't
really pan out and often cause more problems then their worth. What we
really need is a mechanism for creating a NEED for a job, rather than just
creating jobs.
That's my input,
Grant M.