Overqualified?!?!

Derek D. Martin wrote:
> At some point hitherto, Steve hath spake thusly:
>>Unionizing in response to this is just putting one's head in the
>>sand.  You use non-market forces (basically public collusion) to
>>fight a free market battle. Guess who will win in the long term?
>

> This, I entirely agree with.  Unions are a tool of the mediocre to
> ensure unwarranted advancement, and of the piss-poor to avoid
> termination.  I'd much rather compete on my merits.

Er...this isn't exactly my stance. Unionizing in response to market
factors just doesn't work. The market could care less what a small group
of people want if it costs more than the market wants to bear. American
jobs are nice and everything, but the U.S. populace didn't care too much
about the UAW if the American cars guzzle gas and are shoddy in a time
of soaring gas prices but the foreign imports are more fuel efficient,
cheaper, etc.

But that's a lot diffrent than unionizing in response to non-market
forces (e.g., company in a closed town just wants to cut wages to
increase its bottom line). Unions were created to prevent a powerful
centralized entity (employer) from preying upon the fragmentation and
individual lack of power of its employees. Here, forming a union makes
sense.

Steve