OT question on laptop hardware

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> I recently took ownership of my daughter's old laptop, which is a Compaq
> Presario 1800XL with a 15" TFT display. This laptop has a 6GB hard drive
> which I want to replace with a larger one. The problem is that unlike my
> other laptop, the HD is buried inside the unit. With my other drive, the
> hard drive was easy to replace (a couple of screws and it would slide out).
> I don't want to start taking it apart without some advice. I suspect that
> most of the standard laptop hard drives would fit right in. `

Most laptops where the hard drive is not in a removable bay in front or
underneath, the keyboard can be removed to reveal hard drives and memory.
However, this page:
http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/1800XL280-390/Ch8Parts.pdf
shows the hard drive in a removable bay up front.  Are you sure you have
the right model?

According to this page:
http://www.valuesites.com/cmsperipheralsinc/notebook_configuration.cfm
The drive is a 12.5mm tall, which means most drives should fit (some
laptops can only fit 9.5mm tall drives.
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  Pitr: Serve me and my dark legions well, and I will grant you your
DKK D        deepest wish.
DK KD  Greg: Fine.  Promise me you'll make stupidity painful.
DDDD                                                           User Friendly