help me integrate Compaq Presario 710US, D-Link DWL-650, Debian woody

Is there an Installfest veteran willing to make house calls?

After getting advice from folks on this list (thanks!) I got a
refurbished Compaq 710US.  I spent a month trying to configure Gentoo,
got tired of being lacerated by the bleeding edge, and installed Debian
woody.  Now I have a D-Link DWL-650 wireless PCMCIA card, and I'm trying
to get it to talk to both the laptop and to the AirPort base station in
my office.

Debian has successfully loaded the pcmcia_core, i82365, and ds modules
(which is farther than I got with Gentoo), and cardmgr is running.

When I insert the DWL-650 in the slot, the "Link" light turns on
(green), but I only get this message on the console and in
/var/log/messages: "cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xafffffff: clean."

When I run "cardinfo" in X with the card inserted, it shows "Intersil
PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter", and when I click "eject" in that
window, the light on the card goes out.  However,
/lib/modules/2.2.20-compact/pcmcia doesn't have prism2_cs.o (or
orinoco_cs.o), even though I have installed pcmcia-cs Debian module.

(This laptop also has a built-in Ethernet interface, which Linux is
recognizing as eth0.  Is it possible that the system is confused because
it wants the wireless card to also be eth0?)

If I spend enough time hacking at this, I'm sure I can get it to work,
but I'm operating under these constraints:

(1) My wife had a baby two days after the laptop arrived, so the number
of hours per day I can spend on this project is very limited.

(2) In thirteen days, if I still haven't got the thing working, I will
need to return the wireless card for a refund.  (When I got a CD-RW, I
put off trying to install and configure it for a month, and then
discovered I had found the one brand of CD-RW that wasn't compatible
with cdrecord.  I don't want to make that mistake again.)

(3) Maybe it will only take a couple of hours, but I've been telling
myself "I'll have this working in only a couple of hours" so many times...

So if anyone is willing to come get this thing working ... name your price.

adTHANKSvance,
--sethg