allowing scp but not ssh (here's how)

Hmm, no, the "ssh lockout" still succeeds in allowing scp but no ssh.
There must be something else that was done to secure this box... I am guessing that rbash, being a restricted shell, refuses to read in .rc files from the home directory. Here is my attempted login:

(for anyone tuning in to the thread late, this is an attempt at securing a box against ssh while still allowing scp. :)

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/temp

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ ls

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ mkdir .ssh

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ touch .ssh/foo

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ ls -l .ssh/foo
-rw-r--r--    1 Administ None            0 Jul 30 09:42 .ssh/foo

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ scp -r .ssh/ qatest at tower15:/sfs/qatest
qatest at tower15's password:
foo                  100% |***************************************************|     0       00:00

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ ssh qatest at tower15
qatest at tower15's password:

We're sorry, but you do not have shell access to this machine.
Please contact the system administrator for support.

Connection to tower15 closed.

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$

### At this point, the ssh lockout still holds. I'll go in as root, just to verify the account & system.

Administrator at PRIVES /cygdrive/c/temp
$ ssh root at tower15
root at tower15's password:

Welcome to the Storigen Edge Storage Server platform.

[root at tower15 /root]# grep qatest /etc/passwd
qatest:x:507:507:tower15a.storigen.com Account:/sfs/qatest:/bin/rbash
[root at tower15 /root]# ls -la /sfs/qa
qafiles  qatest
[root at tower15 /root]# ls -la /sfs/qatest/
.bash_profile  .inputrc       cli.pl         stest.tar
.bashrc        .ssh           ftp.pl
[root at tower15 /root]# ls -la /sfs/qatest/.ssh/foo
-rw-r--r--    1 qatest   qatest          0 Jul 30 09:37 /sfs/qatest/.ssh/foo
[root at tower15 /root]#

My understanding is, .ssh is only read in UPON a successful login. I don't think the system ever gets that far, due to the shell script (see earlier email) that auto-kills login processes of users who default to rbash.

If what I've shown so far does not work for you, I'll look to verify my information with the system designer, and provide a better answer than I have :)

-Scott