Single Sync Woes

See comments below.

Ryan L. Kitchen wrote:

> I recently acquired a very interesting piece of equipment: A very
> large single sync monitor with 3 (RGB) bnc connections on the back. It
> is marked as a Digital brand model VRT19-HA, but it is also marked as
> a GDM-1961 which I am told indicates the touch of sony? not that it
> matters....

GDM does indicate that this is a Sony CRT.

> At any rate, I have a five connector bnc to 15 pin vga cable and i'm
> ready to roll... or am I. It is not a multi sync monitor, it is very
> picky about the vertical and horizontal refresh rates. In good ol'
> Solaris and linux et al you can manually choose these things. I'm sure
> it would work fine on my sparc with my handy dandy 13w3 adapter...but
> i want to use this thing on a pc. I have a geforce 2 256. I also have
> a GeForce 4 Ti4200 that is waiting for a power supply and case to
> power the M.B. that will hold it. I have heard this monitor requires a
> video card that can support a refresh rate of 130 cycles ... I know
> the Geforce 2 goes at least to 120... I'm not sure about the GF4.

This seems rather high.  In my last job, I worked with many SGI
monitors, including single and multisync versions.  When we would attach
a multisync monitor to a box designed for a single sync monitor, the
multisync monitor adjusted properly and displayed the image correctly at
75 hz.

> Basically, I am hardware oriented, but I've never really taken a
> monitor apart or done any significant modifications. I also understand
> how a capacitor works and how large the ones are in CRT based devices
> (such as monitors and tv's). I would prefer to be alive. With all this
> in mind, can anyone enlighten me? I don't really want to buy any other
> video cards, as I have 2 very nice ones already... but is there a home
> made solution to get this thing running? I just don't seem to have
> very many resources. yes I have soldering iron and the necessary know
> how...

I don't think you need to do anything that drastic.  I did a quick
google search on GDM-1961 and found the following as the first result
returned:

Solutions to make ANY MONITOR work on a PC or MAC
http://www.si87.com/MonitorSolutions/sony/gdm1961.html

It looks like you want a sync converter ($50).

I'm sure there are other solutions.

> Many thanks,
> Ryan K.

Bruce Davis