Dell dumps linux

Matt Galster wrote:
| >  <<Slashdot  Dell No Longer Selling Systems w-o Microsoft OS.url>>
| >
| >  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/10/1420208&mode=thread&tid=109

Not a surprise here.  I understand why they had trouble  making  many
sales.   A  couple  years ago, when I wanted a new computer, Dell was
announcing they were supporting linux. So I checked them out.  I made
up  a  list  of what I wanted.  When I went through the list with the
Dell person, for each item I  was  told  "You  can't  have  that."  I
couldn't even have two Ethernet cards.

So I connected to VAlinux.com.  Their web order forms gave you a list
of  the  available hardware, and let you type in how many of each you
wanted.  I tried out a number of  combinations,  and  their  software
approved all of them.  The prices were comparable to similar hardware
from Dell. So I filled in a form with what I wanted, and they shipped
it.

I think Dell didn't want to sell linux boxes.  This was really a bait
and  switch  sort  of operation.  They advertised linux, but then did
everything they could to discourage the sale.

Too bad VAlinux got out of the hardware business.  OTOH, I've heard a
lot of good things about PCs for Everyone ...