Dell dumps linux

Support is a big issue. Both HP (classic) and Compaq (classic with DEC) had
major internal Linux programs. Compaq was until last year had the largest
market share in PCs. They are currently nose to nose with Dell. Both
companies have recently found out that servers have a much wider margin
than do consumer PCs. One problem is salesforce compensation.
The classic Compaq PC sales organization never realized that they could
sell million dollar servers. As a result, the Alphas never benefited
significantly from the merger.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director