'My favorite platform' debate (was: Rack Mount Servers)

No, I was talking about 8 bit chips. The Motorola 68000 was an excellent
chip. Its registers were a full 32 bits. It had a good instruction set. The
datapath was only 16 bits.
Most of the workstation companies used the 68010 because of its onboard
memory management module needed for multi-tasking/multi-user systems. I
worked for 2 companies that used it in their workstations, Raytheon Data
Systems, which could never get anything out the door, and Cadmus Computer.
Cadmus developed several things. We had a version of NFS (before Sun) that
was tightly integrated into the kernel using the Ethernet protocol. Another
thing they developed was a Macintosh like window system that they sold to
Apple before they went out of business.
The Atari XT and the Commodore Amiga were 68000 boxes.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group