an editor that doesn't require any esc or control keys to be used...

> Once you eliminate all escape and control
> sequences, you're left with a subset of plain-old
> 7-bit ASCII, right?  Alphanumerics and a few
> symbols; what character would you give up to use
> for ESC?

IMHO, probably this one:  ~

I don't use it for much.  I think that vi uses it to switch between upper and lower case, but you could always type something over for the same effect.

But does the .exrc mapping effect ALL uses of the character?  If you remapped the "x" for example, does that mean you couldn't use "x" in your text?  Or would it just replace the "x" command to delete a single character?
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup