fault detection

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 FRamsay at castelhq.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of any tools to help figure out why a box rebooted?  One
> of our client boxes rebooted
> over the weekend for no apparent reason.  The client claimed there was no
> power outage, and a quick look
> over the logs verifies the UPS didn't shut the computer down.  Also I
> didn't see a shutdown or reboot request
> in /var/log/messages.  So what tools do people use to figure out why a
> Linux system crashed?
>
> the system is running Redhat 7.2  kernel 2.4.9-13

Aside from the other suggestions,

find / -name core -mtime -5

also look at the most recent files in /tmp and /var for signs of files
that were created during a process that never got cleaned up.

I assume you checked for silly stuff for free hard dive space and inodes,
right?  Sometimes you can have enough disk space but not enough inodes.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "The political lesson of Watergate is this: Never again must
DKK D  America allow an arrogant, elite guard of political adolescents to
DK KD  by-pass the regular party organization and dictate the terms of a
DDDD   national election."                          - Gerald R. Ford (1913-)