Desperate Plea: Digital DNARD Boot Problem

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Jon wrote:

> I bought a grey box at the MIT flea that turned out to be a pretty neat
> piece of old equipment know as a Digital DNARD (Rev. 4).  While trying to
> update the firmware managed to render the DNARD unusable.
>
> Does anyone know how I could get in touch with the guy in the garage who
> was selling these or where I could get the September, 1998 version of the
> firmware?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

I don't know much about that particular device, but...

Every computer-like device that I've ever seen where you can flash the
BIOS, if the BIOS flashing goes bad you are FUBAR.  The instructions for
the device to reflash the BIOS are _in_ the BIOS, so if that gets
corrupted, there's no BIOS flasher program.

I would think your only hope would be to either buy a cheap broken one
somewhere and put its BIOS in yours, or buy/borrow one and use an EEPROM
programmer to copy the program from one chip to another.  Or get Digital
to send you another BIOS chip.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Why garlic?  Hey! Garlic don' need no reason!
DK KD
DDDD                                                             Alton Brown