Tulip network card not connecting in 7.3?

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Brian J. Conway wrote:

> > I had a similar problem when I upgraded from RH 7.0 to 7.1 on my home
> > machine a while back.  I found that using the alternative driver for
> > that chipset (de4x5 driver) solved my problem and let me run 100/full.
> > I'm guessing that whatever changes were made to the tulip driver going
> > from RH 7.0 -> 7.1 are still in there and still causing problems.
>
> The Tulip driver has always been an awful one to deal with, in that there
> are so many different (and sometimes very different) chips using that
> name.  The 2.2 kernel started with one driver and then moved to two (I
> think it stayed there), and the 2.4 had at one point moved from there to a
> unified driver and then back to two separate ones (de4x5 and old_tulip, or
> some such thing).  If neither driver work, the updated version from the
> web page given previously might, though at that point I'd probably switch
> cards (and have in the past).

So what would I do to try this?  Change the alias in /etc/modules.conf to
point to old_tulip instead of de4x5 and restart?

Oddly enough, my existing server is using the de4x5 module just fine, but
probably with a different network card.  I may just change the network
card in this machine.  I don't know yet.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  The plural of anecdote is not data.
DK KD
DDDD