ssh

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Matthew J. Brodeur wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, dan moylan wrote:
>
> > network i now have two ibm laptops running rh7.3.  both were
> >
> > the setups are identical (reciprocal addresses, of course) to
> > the best of my knowledge, but though i can ssh/scp from polaris
> > to sirius, the reverse is not true:
>
>    Check that you have the openssh server installed and running on both
> systems.  You should see something like:
>
> $ rpm -q openssh-server
> openssh-server-3.3p1-1
> $ /sbin/service sshd status
> sshd (pid 1052) is running...
>
>    The default install of any RH7.3 package set other than "Server" won't
> give you the server portion of ssh.  If you have sshd and it IS running,
> check iptables/ipchains to make sure it's not blocking connections.
> Previous releases of RH (but not 7.3 IIRC) would enable some firewall
> rules even if you specified "No Firewall" during install.

Compare  /etc/ssh/sshd_config on both machines.  And don't try it as root,
since login as root is also disabled by default.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  Ayn Rand, staunch atheist and a fiercely patriotic American, was once
DKK D  asked what she thought of the phrase "under God" in the pledge of
DK KD  allegience and "In God We Trust" on American currency.  She replied
DDDD   that it didn't bother her one bit... her god was Reason, and so there
       was no conflict at all.