generally informative and not opinionated).
From: Praise <praisetazio at tiscalinet.it>:

I have been benchmarking them all with bonnie++ with the following results:
reiserfs and xfs are much faster than jfs. jfs is just the slowest
filesystem available on SuSE. Then here it is my thought: reiserfs also has
some reliability problems and it is very slow in some cases (this is a
rumor) even with small files, which should be the strenght of reiserfs
instead. I would choose xfs if you are planning to remain with SuSE kernel,
reiserfs if you are planning to use also vanilla kernels, as AFAIK xfs is
not part of standard kernel.

Note: both xfs and reiserfs were a bit faster than standard ext2
filesystem, which was a bit faster than ext3. ext3 is a journaling
filesystem based on ext2 and it is the only one which make sure data
coherence, not only filesystem coherence.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director