Using Samba with WinXP

> 	Did you add the user on the samba side? (smbpasswd -a richb)

Just to be clear:  this is a configuration I've had running with 3 Win98
clients for a few years.  Yes, the user accounts exist.  Today I upgraded
Samba from 2.0.7 to 2.2.5, without changing the config.

Some of my shares, such as an MP3 library, are configured for anonymous
guest access.  Others, such as my financial records, are tightly restricted.
I have about 10 shares.  The restricted ones are the ones I'm having
difficulty with.  Even the unrestricted ones should be authenticated, though:
without authentication, I can't create new files on them.

> 	You also may want to look that the encrypt password flag in
> smb.conf. You can flip that to the opposite of aht it is now, restart smb
> and see if you can get in. If you can, the encryption is the problem.

If I disable encryption, none of the clients (Win98 or WinXP) can talk
to the server (it refuses all connections, even guests).

Should I just give up on WinXP?  The only reason I started using it is I
bought a new PC a few months ago and have been unable to get Win98 apps
running correctly on it (unavailable device drivers).

The new system came with WinXP Home Edition (not XP Pro).

-rich