Red Hat 7.2 B2 comments (rant)

At one point, an Boston attorney registered the name, Linux, and sent
letters to many of those companies who were using the Linux name. Linux
International sued the attorney and was able to acquire the trademark based
on prior use.
There are many interesting cases on trademarks. And some companies are
paranoid. I knew some people who worked for Johnson and Johnson. When
referring to a BandAid, employees were trained that they must use the full
name of the product, something like "Band Aid brand plastic strip". At one
point, "aspirin" was a trade mark, but it became generic and the trademark
owner was forced to give it up. Microsoft at one point tried to trademark
the term, Windows.