RH 7.3 / CUPS / LPRng / Samba Blues

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Derek D. Martin wrote:

> > [2002/09/16 13:17:10, 0] libsmb/nmblib.c:send_udp(755)
> >   Packet send failed to 66.92.68.255(138) ERRNO=Operation not permitted
> >
> > It seems that it's trying to broadcast on my external IP address instead
> > of 192.168.1.255.  Where would I set that?

>   http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#BINDINTERFACESONLY
>
> But more importantly, if this thing is connected to the Internet, you
> should really block both incoming and outgoing traffic via either a
> gateway firewall, or host-based firewall (ipchains/iptables).

I am.  That's why the operation is not permitted ;)

I think I fixed this with an "interface =" line
I'll check out that URL later today.  My mouse just flaked out on me.

> Yes.  Or, it may not be easier, but it would likely eliminate a
> possible complication.  And if you do this, you may find that you then
> need to re-install cups, if there were any conflicting files
> (symlinks, etc.) which were installed by LPRng.
>
> > Does anyone think I should give up and go back to LPRng, which I had
> > working on my old server?
>
> Well, LPRng is (IME) renowned for being over-complicated.  CUPS, OTOH,
> is (again, IME) renowned for being fairly easy to set up and use, and
> much more featureful...  I have not used CUPS, and I've only limited
> experience with LPRng from quite a while ago; so I can't speka first
> hand as to which you should use.

Good enough reason for me.  I finally got it working, but I'm going to
have to do some diffs on the RCS versions of smb.conf till I figure out
which was the exact line I needed.

Thanks all.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD   -o)                                                    -o)
DKK D   /\\         Geeky By Nature                            /\\
DK KD  _\_v_                                                  _\_v_
DDDD   ----              Linux By Choice                      ----