time change

Lots of very good reasons. The military has used UTC (ZULU time) for many
years, even before computers.
I don't remember when Unix started using UTC (probably back when it was
invented because of the astronomy background). But, it is very important
for computer networks where you might be sharing files.
Let's take early Unix where there was only UUCP. It was still very common
to synchroinize files and have distributed environments. Tools like make(1)
are very time sensitive. When you have a distributed environment that spans
a time zone, UTC timestamps are critical.
Linux had to be able to support both time formats, mainly because of dual
booting with OS2 and lesser OS wannabes. One of the first things I did on
my laptop was to set the BIOS to UTC.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director