iptables throughput

Is there a reason you favor Linux over "hardware" solutions?

We're using a Foundry 4802[0] for NAT-only[1] at gigabit speed.  The
configuration in this case is "right outta the docs" and it "just
works".  I don't know the Foundry product line very well, but three of
the four Foundry devices we have run the same OS.  You may be able to
find something cheaper than a 4802 that'll do the same tricks.  Stay
far, far away from the ServerIron if you're looking for NAT.[2]

Caveat: we only have a few hundred nodes behind the box.

[0] no special reason; we have a limitless supply of them
[1] main router is a BigIron with FastIrons/4802s hanging off
[2] it's a great solution for IP load-balancing, though

#if ron.peterson at yellowbank.com /* Sep 24, 23:51 */

#endif /* ron.peterson at yellowbank.com */

--
Andy Davidoff