Linux Software Raid 1 Recovery Question

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 11:45:03AM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 11:24:08AM -0400, ron.peterson at yellowbank.com wrote:

> > Likely you only had an MBR written to /dev/hda.
>
> Getting lilo to put one on /dev/hdc and getting the bios to look
> at it didn't work.

How did you write the boot loader to the MBR?  If your BIOS supports
booting off hdc (?), then lilo.conf would have to be edited to reflect
that (boot=/dev/hdc, root=/dev/hdc3, etc.).  Else you'll need to move
the drive to hda.  I.E. - you'll need to create a different boot record
for hdc than for hda.

OTOH, you can just move the drive to hda, and keep a single copy of your
MBR around.

dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/mbr.b bs=512 count=1

Or maybe copy it to hdc each time you run lilo (of=/dev/hdc) so that if
you need to boot from the second disk, you can just move the cable and
go.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\