Linux Software Raid 1 Recovery Question

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 04:13:49PM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 03:43:06PM -0400, ron.peterson at yellowbank.com wrote:
> > boot=/dev/sda
> > image=/vmsomethingorother
> >   root=/dev/md2
> >
> > Otherwise, like you say, how could the system find md stuff before there
> > is a kernel.
> >
> > But you were sucessfully booting before...  (?)
>
> I am successfully booting now, on a two-disk machine, with the
> following lilo:
>
>   prompt
>   timeout=50
>   default=linux
>   boot=/dev/md6
>   map=/boot/map
>   install=/boot/boot.b
>   message=/boot/message
>   vga=0x303
>   linear
>
>   image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-10
>           label=linux
>           initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-10.img
>           read-only
>           root=/dev/md5
>
> No mention of any hda or hdc.  I don't know how it works, but it
> works.

Ahh, I think I found that which you seek.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-3.html

(Don't forget the mini-howto's...)

Basically, it looks like you need to make a pair of lilo.conf files.
The boot= line should point to either of /dev/hda or /dev/hdc,
respectively.  Well, nevermind my blathering on, just read the
mini-howto.  It's a little out of date, but I think still relevant.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\